With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
It occurred to me while I was standing in one of the office bathrooms looking at myself in the mirror for no good reason, that not everything that pops into my head merits an entire blog post. My blogging style is usually to focus on one subject at a time. Every now and then I think about something random and turn it over in my mind for a few minutes and then promptly move on to whatever takes its place. It occurred to me that all those random thoughts put together could be a blog post in themselves and so here I am launching a new type of blog post that will make a random appearance in this space every now and then. My random musings this week are as follows:
1. I was just thinking that there is something beautiful about blogging anonymously. A certain freedom. A blank cheque so to speak. Once your family and friends know about your blog you feel almost censored. It feels like you are writing for more people than just yourself. You ask yourself if you would want your friend/family reading that or if you might hurt someone. A personal blog is a view into my mind and I have to be careful of what it may reveal. I could be wrong but that is definitely how I felt when people who knew me personally started reading my blog. On the other hand, it feels lovely to share a part of myself with these very same people. A study in contradiction or a delicate balance? I have no idea.
2. I have been considering starting a restaurant review blog. I spend a lot of time with a family that loves to celebrate every occasion (and there are many) by eating out at a different place each time. It has certainly broadened my horizons and developed my palate. I dare say my taste in wine is far more sophisticated now than it was last year. Last year we were at zero so any improvement is huge lol. I have discovered beautiful places I never knew existed like the Riviera on Vaal. Some are a bit of an acquired taste for me like Irene Dairy Farm in Centurion. I think growing up in a semi rural area makes the association between dining out and an actual dairy farm a difficult one for me. In any case, it would be nice to share these experiences with others once I stop procrastinating.
3. The number of violent crimes in schools by children against children is going up at a scary rate. A couple of boys speared a school mate recently?! First who uses a spear anymore. Second, what happened to good old fist fights? Here’s a link to the story.
4. I have been thinking about starting a business for a while now. I have developed my idea and I have a business plan. I lack only one major ingredient….courage. Yes I know I should just start but I am paralysed by self-doubt and a fear of failure.
5. I need to stop buying shoes. I am going on shoe purchase diet over the festive season to prevent budget suicide. That being said, my last purchase gives me so much joy… (it was also my first online purchase in this country. I’m so behind the times *sigh*)
6.Its Friday. It has been a tough week. I am looking forward to some downtime and seeing some friends visiting from Kenya. Maybe a little game of 30 seconds. Have an awesome weekend.