“Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many“
12. Close friends are few and far between
At 30, if you find you have more close friends than the digits on one hand, you need to re-evaluate your definition of friendship. The ones that call you out on bad behaviour, that can deal with your snot and tears, that laugh with you, celebrate with you, talk to you, love you, eat with you, counsel you, support you and so much more. When you have a couple of friends like these…. Love them.
“A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.”
13. Have babies
Coming from a baby phobe this is ironic but you know me. I’m all about irony. If you don’t already have them and you’re planning on having babies in this lifetime then this is time to start planning. Just to give you some perspective, if you leave it till 40 (which you can do medically), when your baby turns 20, you will be 60. Leave yourself enough time to enjoy them.
14. Buy good furniture
“The human soul is hungry for beauty: we seek it everywhere – in landscape, music, art, clothes, furniture, gardening, companionship, love, religion, and in ourselves. No one would desire not to be beautiful. When we experience the beautiful, there is a sense of homecoming.” The years of living in diggs have passed. It’s time to move on from that college couch.
The fittest woman on my hockey team is 45 years old and she looks amazing to say the least. Trust me when I tell you that everything she owns is where it should be. She insists her boobs aren’t but who knows lol. All I know is she exercises avidly and eats healthy. Small price to pay for your bum muscles to defy gravity ” After 30, your body has a mind of its own.” Those quick diets that worked in a week or so… history.
16. Read. Read widely. It will make you interesting.
17. Travel. It doesn’t cost nearly as much as you think and it will make you richer. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”
18. Watch the news. People will respect your ability to engage on current affairs.
19. Never send your lover nude photos. If you are in SA remember how poor, naked Pulani wound up on Twitter (or is it Phulani which sounds an awful lot like punani *hides face*). No matter how in love you are…. don’t do it. It is never ever a good idea.
20. Pay your debts on time every time. You can ignore them all you like but that rumpled chicken will come home to roost and you will be so sorry.